Friday, March 2, 2007

GTD Implementation Day 2: A Slow Start to "Clarification" and "Organizing"

I am still just looking at the rather unbelievable mound of papers in my living room. As soon as it doesn't look like it looks right now, I'll post picture (yes we took pictures). Or maybe I'll wait until I can post "before" and "after" shots. Meanwhile I heard via email from Meg, the GTD coach who said it would be wise to just haul the things that are "current into my "in-box" (renamed "living room in my house")." I wrote back to her "too late" and it is, its all there and I have no idea what came from where so I can't just put it back. I am procrastinating jumping into it and beginning the process of "clarification" or asking "What is this?" Is it something I need to: Delegate, Defer, or Trash? Making the decision and acting. That's all I have to do, but I'm procrastinating.

Time-Boxing and Seah's Bubbles
So here is what I'm going to do right now. First I'm going to the gym (physical therapy). Then I'm coming right home and I'm going to pull out one of David Seah's Printable CEO (PCAO) "Bubble Charts" called Task Progress Tracker or PCEO-TPT01-Standard. (http://davidseah.com/archives/2005/09/23/the-printable-ceo/) Then, finally I'm going to tackle this project with the time-boxing method. What that means is that instead of saying "I"m going to get through the first pile in front of me" I'll tell myself "I'm going to do this for 15 minutes." Then if I get into it, I can do another 15 minutes. I can do almost anything for 15 minutes and by stating my intentions this way, I'll overcome the inertia I feel, just looking at the so-called in-box in front of me. As should be obvious here, I've decided to track my mental progress here on my blog, make my procrastination when face with an unpleasant task public, with the hope that it might shame me into dealing with the process before night falls and its on to the next day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The "to do" in front of me is to be able to comment on this blog.

Lynn O'Connor's Notes said...

Wow Pam. That is so comforting. I want you to comment as much as possible. (To whomever is reading...Pam is a great photographer...Maybe I can talk her into providing photographs on a regular basis so you can all see them. She also happens to be a great writer, so maybe she'll get into more than one line, from which I for sure will benefit.)