Sunday, March 4, 2007

Day 4: GTD Implementation

I had a real meltdown yesterday. I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbrer of boxes and piles of paper sitting in the middle of my living room. My husband helped me as I began to sort through the piles. I could not stick with it for more than a few hours at a stretch. I spoke to a coach from Davidco (that's the name of David Allen's company). She said that I had "over-collected" meaning I should have left some of those piles of paper wherever they were, as I should only be processing current data. But that would miss the point. First, I don't know what is current and what is not without going through everything; there's a mix in every box. The way I came to have all these banker boxes full of stuff is what I have called the "Thanksgiving Syndrome." We always have a large and wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, with all of our dearest and oldest of friends coming, as well as family and even some more distant friends. Preparing for Thanksgiving we start noticing the piles and piles of "stuff" everywhere, cluttering up every surface. What we do then is to put all the stuff into banker boxes and stash them away in a back room or closet. And that is where they have remained, until we began the major collection on Thursday. There must be at least 15 of them, in addition to the many piles of papers that were everywhere; sideways on book shelves, on top of every cabinet, every desk, and in my home office, in a variety of corners on the floor. This then is the issue at hand; how to whiz through these boxes without getting distracted, without the melt down I had yesterday. Furthermore, I slept in today which is upsetting. It was the first time since I began the program of changing this sleeping in habit and turned myself into an early morning writer. I am disgruntled, and heading off to more sorting out of the boxes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lynn,

I remember seeing one method where things were sorted into three boxes. To deal with now, to save and deal with later, to throw away. Then I guess the to-deal-with-now box gets put on shelves or into files, someplace accessible.

I think it is fabulous that you can call for help. I remember when I was taking sewing and I would get completely stuck. Much as I wanted
to give up, the teacher would sit with me and slowly untangle the knots, or take out the snarled seam. Watching her do that made it possible for me to feel capable of doing it myself.

7am hardly sounds like sleeping in to me. But if that is how you feel. . .

Lynn O'Connor's Notes said...

Pam:
Sunday wasn't 7AM, I slept in until noon, I was so tired Saturday all day. I did almost nothing today. I read, talked to a client on the phone, read some more. It is now 3 AM and I am headed down to begin the filing process ( or kissing about five boxes "goodby, off you go to storage." At least I now know what is there. David was a saint, he took his librarian archivist skills and threw them at my mess, and he did the first general sorting. I am forever grateful. I think I won't melt down again for a while. i am not going to sleep tonight, if I do I will sleep in half the day.