Thursday, September 27, 2007

Portrait of David Allen & GTD from Wired Magazine

I just read a fascinating article about David Allen, author and founder of the organization movement, Getting Things Done (GTD) that appeared this week in the geek-oriented magazine, Wired.
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/15-10/ff_allen?currentPage=all#
I can't say I was surprised to read of Allen's difficult past, or early years of adulthood, and nor was I surprised that there is some kind of "spiritual" underpinnings to Allen's yearnings. Allen and his methods appeal to me for some reason, and although I can't exactly put words to it, I feel I'm half-way there in implementing GTD. When family teases me about my new "cult" membership, I shrug and acknowledge there is some truth to the accusation. But I don't care. I'm sitting in my office and its almost the orderly environment I'm aiming for. I was looking for a chapter of the book I'm writing the other day, and didn't find it right away in a small stack of papers waiting to be processed. I knew it would take no more than two minutes to find the right place to hold the chapters awaiting editing, or input from someone who specializes in a chapter's content. I knew where the glitch in my system occurred, why I couldn't locate the item in 60 seconds or less. This is so far ahead of where I was six months ago, there's no comparison.

What is the spiritual element in GTD? I think the quest for order as a knowledge worker is undeniable. So much of what I do in a day is internally motivated and driven. No one is insisting that I conduct a study, or write up an article reporting on a study I've conducted. I have no CEO driving the ship. I think many knowledge workers are in the same situation, even if they're functioning within a company. I remember reading something that Drucker wrote about the new work environment, where everyone is an entrepreneur. If we are all steering our own ship, that leaves us without the natural mode of organization offered by social hierarchies. Accepting Allen's GTD gives us a "road map" as he calls it, and what person, floating around, working in a socially unstructured environment, wouldn't grasp onto an overarching plan by which to make decisions? I really don't care if I've fallen into a cult-like movement, in fact I'm ready for a refresher course and I wish Allen would plan another stop in the Bay Area.

I recommend to anyone who is interested in GTD, read this article from Wired.

2 comments:

teacherninja said...

Great blog. I disagree that it's a cult. I understand why people like to use the term because we GTDers cant shut up about it! But it's so the opposite. There's no pressure to buy anything and you can set up and rearraange your system however you see fit. Hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogroll...

Lynn O'Connor's Notes said...

No I don't mind, I'm pleased. I have heard that people have been unable to comment on my posts, so I quit looking for comments, and I am happy to find yours! Sorry it took me so long to reply (months I suppose). I agree, GTD is not really a cult. I admit to paying out more than I should to be a member of David Allen's "Connect," that online association of people into GTD. I have enjoyed it but feel a bit guilty about the money. Despite the chance for membership and other signs people might interpret as having trappings of a "cult" I really do agree with you. GTD is available to anyone, with nothing but a desire to better organize our lives. It has made a huge difference to me, I am working on things I put off for years. My whole house is different, my office is different, even though I'm still struggling with the weekly review. Please comment again, I'll start looking..