Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day Evening

The Sopranos
I've been watching the Sopranos with family for weeks now. The last few days we moved on to Year 5 (and yes we've gone all the way from week 1, year one) and today I decided I'm out of the playing. In year 4 an edge of gratuitous violence crept in, and I wasn't just sickened, I got bored. That means, I suppose, it made me too anxious and I couldn't stand it any more. Year 5 is even worse. So I bow out. I think my household made a decision to move with me, and in the name of togetherness, we're moving on to watching House (which I have never seen). The oddest thing is that I never watch TV, but for a month or two over the past 15 years. I had an Ex-File summer the way this has been the Soprano season. I ordered Bones to take a look at it while I'm at it, I think it might be related to the X-Files in style. Or maybe its time I get back to work. Being a knowledge worker feels like an expressed aversion to labor. It's difficult to remember that teaching writing, continual reading of the scientific press are their own form of labor.

1 comment:

Eetion said...

on the bright side, house whoops the pants off of greys anatomy