Friday, March 7, 2008

I need to blog again

What happened to my blogging?
My blogging waned over the year, from my daily posting to at best, once a month, when I had a specific message to send to my students. I would like to recommit myself to blogging. I find it the most rewarding kind of writing and since I write everyday in numerous emails, I write academic articles and notes to students and opinion pieces on news in psychology and psychiatry, I want to (note I say "I want to" not "I will" pick up blogging again. I am not sure what discouraged me. Perhaps it was a problem presented to me by some readers "I tried to write a comment, but failed each time I tried." Rather than going in there, figuring out the problem, and fixing it, I just left it alone. After a while of no responses, even in "private" I lost interest. I have lots of readers on my various listsesrvs, why not write to them, instead of to no one, here. Well one reason is that I can write more personally here. And I can put my commitments in public, something I would not dare to do on my academic listservs.

The anti-medication frenzy needs to be analyzed
I am in a spin about the anti-psychiatry, anti-medication tear the press and even the professionals are on now. In response to one of those articles declaring that medication doesn't work, the British government decided to pour money into training 10,000 new cognitive behavioral psychotherapists. My main collaborator and statistician Jack Berry, upon hearing about this , said in his driest tone "Awfully impulsive, don't you think?" Yes I do think.

So expect an upcoming piece about the state of the medication debate (hysteria would be a more precise way of describing teh current atmosphere.

Bottom line, a new in-box called "bedroom" is screaming out for help
I may think its time to resume blogging because I have a new 'inbox" taking over a bed room. The "inbox" has turned out to be a bottle next in my GTS system. I wrote to David Allen's people to see if they might direct me. I told them to get Allen back out here to San Francisco, I need a booster shot right now. The whole point of mentioning this is I need some kind of accountability, and I am hoping that by writing about this, even if I am downplaying it, may help me deal wiht the situation. So if I do nothing but what I started doing here a year ago, I have to do at least that. Track my progress on GTD and resume getting things done.

No comments: